"Let’s Develop the Ottawa Valley Rail Trail to its Fullest Potential. A recreational trail between our communities offers us an attractive path to the future."
This is the first communications sent to our friends supporting the development of a recreational trail linking Carleton Place and Mississippi Mills – a trail that we hope will be designated for non-motorized users.
Our key objective is to have Lanark County Council recognize the portion of the Ottawa Valley Rail Trail (OVRT) from Pakenham, through Almonte, to Carleton Place, as a recreational trail for non-motorized uses. Supporting individuals, local groups, and agencies all see this trail as a great community asset with tremendous potential (see Friends of OVRT flyer).
Here are the core beliefs forwarded by the Friends of OVRT.
· A non-motorized recreational trail will be of the greatest economic and social benefit to the communities of Carleton Place and Mississippi Mills.
· ATVs and snowmobiles have the local infrastructure and use of the roadways. The County and its municipalities should not feel compelled to build this portion of the trail for motorized uses.
· To maximize the trail’s future tourism and economic potential, it needs to be developed and promoted in Ottawa (and beyond) as a safe experience for families, cyclists, walkers and local community uses.
In the weeks ahead we are looking for your help. You can support this effort in 3 meaningful ways:
1) Indicate to this group your support and willingness to be included in the list of “Friends of OVRT” Please e-mail us your support (indicate any group or interests you represent).
2) Attend at least one of the Lanark County Open Houses to register your support for the vision of a non-motorized trail between CP and MM. Please see below for the dates and locations of the County meetings.
3) In the coming weeks, write letters (and/or e-mails) of support for a non-motorized trail to County and local municipal officials and elected representatives. We will follow up with you on the people you need to reach and suggested messages you may wish to convey.
Your active support in the next few months is very important to making this vision a reality. Please email us your support and go to the open houses. Please help us in the weeks ahead to express this vision of a safe recreational trail to those who will be making the final decisions on the future development of our rail trail.
We will be in touch again very soon! If you have ideas or information that will help this cause, we would love to hear from you.
Chris, Secretary of Friends of OVRT
REMEMBER - Lanark County Open Houses on the Development of the Rail Trail:
Montague Township - Thurs. Jan. 19 at 6:30 – 8:30 pm - Rosedale Hall - 657 Rosedale Rd South
Beckwith Township - Thurs. Jan. 26 at 6:30 – 9:30 pm - Township Office, Council Chambers - 1702 9th Line Beckwith
Carleton Place - Thurs. Feb. 2 at 6:30 – 9:30 pm - Upper Hall, CP Arena - Neelin Street
Mississippi Mills - Thurs. Feb. 16 at 6:30 – 9:30 pm - Almonte Old Town Hall - 14 Bridge Street